Take your sewing to the next level with a private six-week sewing course!
All ages and skill levels welcome.
What you'll learn:
The six-week course curriculum is decided by the student in consultation with Tyler prior to the first lesson. Students are usually able to complete a minimum of one garment per six-week course.
Popular topics include:
- Sewing machine basics
- How to take measurements for pattern sizing
- How to sew using a commercial (store-bought) pattern
- Introductory draping on a mannequin
- Drafting a pattern
- Drafting or draping a personalized sloper
- Fashion illustration
- How to construct a garment from start to finish, including cutting, sewing, zippers, buttons, lining, topstitching, and more.
- Fine-tuning of sewing techniques (intermediate to advanced students)
$800 for the course only
- Each course consists of six (6) two-hour lessons—a total of 12 hours of private instruction.
Additional $100 (optional) for a sewing toolkit, which includes:
- Clear grid ruler
- Fashion measuring tape
- Seam ripper
- Tailor’s chalk
- Large-head dressmaker pins
- Sewing needles (assorted machine needles and assorted hand-sewing needles)
- Fabric shears
- Thread snips
- 3 yds. muslin fabric (at least 54” wide)
- Thread (black and white)
Where is the class taught?
- All classes are taught in Tyler's atelier in downtown Jersey City, accessible by public transportation and just minutes from downtown Manhattan.
Do I need to bring my own sewing machine?
- Yes, students are responsible for bringing their own sewing machine to each class.
Who provides fabric for the course?
- Students are responsible for providing all fabric, notions, and store-bought patterns throughout the duration of the course.
Are virtual classes available?
- No, at this time only in-person classes are available.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to start learning!